Saturday, February 7, 2015

Project #4

C4T Summary

Over the course of a couple weeks we have been assigned a teacher's blog to read and comment on. The blog page I was given was Digital Media + learning: The Power of  Participation (www.dmlcentral.net) A site that lists different blogs in the same realm of interest. I chose an insightful blog by John Jones that focuses on technology and learning. His first blog I read was entitle "Lets Ban Bans in the Classroom", Jones believes that the classroom should be a place where students should and can experience more than just a verbal lecture for learning. He makes it clear that he does see that technology and electronics can inhibit learning to a degree but that the benefits seem to out weigh the inhibitions.
"Let's Ban Bans in the Classroom"

My Comment on the blog:
I agree a great deal with your point of view. There is definitely a time and a place for technology in the classroom, and it is all about adapting to the emerging technologies not completely disregarding them. Your article on this was well put together and sought to show the view points from different individuals and not just focus on your own point of view. Great use of information!

Jones' second blog post that I read was entitled  "The Technophobe’s Dilemma: Nicholas Carr’s ‘The Glass Cage'" In this post Jones critiqued the book by Nicholas Carr entitled " The Glass Cage". Jones goes on to say in his post that Carr's "technophobe" view point about automation systems in our society is one that is somewhat inhibited. Jones discusses how the book is full of skewed information about the automation systems and how they effect us as people and a society.
"The Technophobe’s Dilemma: Nicholas Carr’s ‘The Glass Cage’"

My comment on the blog:
This was a very well-rounded critique I thought, based on what I read above I agree that Carr's book seemed fixated on one specific subject in relation to automation. I think that everyone depends on technology to an extent, our society relies on technology for things even as simple as the traffic light systems. Something we all use daily, and to me a world without traffic lights is far more frightening than the automation technologies that surround us and continue to emerge.

http://osmanyfundorap.com/blog/

                                                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment